Parks and Recreation
The Franklin Department of Parks & Recreation offers a well-rounded yearly program of leisure time activities for children, young adults and senior citizens of the Franklin area. The athletic section offers sports programs and organized leagues for youth and adults for softball/baseball, basketball, soccer and volleyball. Area senior citizens meet daily at the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center and are involved with activities as, arts & crafts, exercise programs, table games, as well as a lunch program. The department offers special annual programs as the Youth Festival, The Summer Super Jam Playground Program and a slate of special activities for Black History Month.
Parks & Facilities:
The Franklin Department of Parks & Recreation operates and manages eleven recreational areas, which includes facilities and parks, for indoor as well as outdoor activities. Whether you’re planning a wedding, family reunion or a softball tournament, the Franklin Parks & Recreation has a facility for your use or rent. Persons or organizations interested in reserving a park or facility can pick up an application at the main office of the department or fill out the application under Forms and Documents.
- Armory Drive Recreational Park Offers facilities for organized sports programs for football, soccer, hard & softball, recreational play, tennis courts, swimming pool, a tot lot playground and picnic tables. This facility serves as the home playing field for the Franklin High School Broncos for football, baseball and soccer.
- Barrett's Landing Park Undoubtedly one of the most popular and diverse of the Franklin parks is Barrett’s Landing. Barrett’s Landing is located in walking distance from downtown Franklin. A large gazebo sits on top of the hill overlooking a scenic view of the Blackwater River. The park has a wharf and a foot bridge around parts of the water edge of the park. This park can be used for concerts, family outings, picnics, weddings or for just sitting on one of the many park benches and enjoying the peace and quietness of the park. Barrett’s Landing is also the ideal fishing spot in the City of Franklin.
- Bruce Street Park Recreational area which includes a basketball court, climber play set, softball field and a covered shelter.
- College Drive Park Youth oriented playground which includes two basketball courts, a tot lot play area, open space, skating rink and picnic tables.
- Hayden Sports Complex A Multi-purpose field that can be used for soft/hard ball, football and soccer. The complex also includes three practice fields for youth baseball.
- Memorial Park Open outdoor park mainly used for individual family outings, walkers and joggers. Picnic tables and benches are available.
- High Street Park A small neighborhood park that can be used for family outings, small group picnics and readers. Benches are available.
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center A community based recreation center where children, adults and senior citizens attend that offers programs as arts & crafts, fitness, sports, life skills enrichment or family activities. The center consists of a large multi-purpose room that is used for diverse activities as table games, ping pong and video games to name a few. The center also has a pool room, fellowship hall and additional rooms for community organization to hold meetings. The outside area has two basketball courts and a play area.
We are currently in phase 3 which means we are now open to the public with social distancing and mask required. Hours of operation are from 10 am to 6 pm Monday through Friday.