Environmental Services Division
The Environmental Services Division of the Community Development Department is responsible for administering the local Erosion and Sediment Control (ESC) and Stormwater Management (SWM) programs for the City of Franklin to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations and local ordinances.
1. Administer the Erosion and Sediment Control and Stormwater Management Programs
2. Manage the Site Plan Review process
3. Issue both local E&S Control and DEQ VSMP Construction General Permit Permits
4. Inspect construction activities and manage annual BMP Inspection Services
5. Review and release surety bonds for land disturbance activities
6. Review and approve As-Built drawings for inclusion into the City of Franklin GIS System
7. Review and approve BMP maintenance agreements where applicable
The Environmental Services Staff will hold a pre-design conference with the property owner or design consultant to ensure the future design complies with all federal and state regulations and local ordinance requirements. Further discussions will outline the required site plan checklist, engineering calculations/supporting documents, building plans, and permit applications and fees required for a successful and timely site plan approval.
Local and State Permits:
If the commercial site is within The City of Franklin and the disturbed area exceeds 5,000 square feet, then a land disturbance permit is required.
Small Residential Projects:
Residential projects with disturbed areas less than 5,000 square feet in The City of Franklin are eligible for an Agreement In Lieu of Plan
Large Commercial Projects
If the commercial site exceeds 1 acre, then a VSMP Construction General Permit is required from the Department of Environmental Quality. The City of Franklin administers the VSMP Program, therefore the Construction General Permit will also be issued by the City of Franklin on behalf of the Department of Environmental Quality.
*NEW FORMS AS OF JANUARY 1, 2021. Forms before January 1, 2021 will not be accepted.
- Appendix A: Site Plan
- Appendix B: Authority Letter
- Appendix C: Contractor Certification
- Appendix D: Registration Statement
- Appendix E: VAR10 Coverage Letter
- Appendix F: VAR10 Coverage Site Notice
- Appendix G: Inspection Report
- Appendix H: Record of Stabilization and Construction Activities
- Appendix I: Rainfall Event Log
- Appendix J: Notice of Termination
Site Construction Inspections:
After the site plan is approved the Environmental Services staff will conduct a Pre-Construction conference with the designated contractor to discuss any design concerns, construction signage, SWPPP Information Board/Inspections and/or changes to the Construction Sequencing.
Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS-4) Locality (Frequently Asked Question):
The City of Franklin is not an MS-4 locality as defined by the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality. The City of Franklin is located in the Chowan River Watershed which includes the Blackwater, Meherrin, and Nottoway Rivers and their tributaries. The other Hampton Roads Communities drain into the James River/Chesapeake Bay Watershed and are MS-4 permit holders.