Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I get a quick overview of the City's revenues, expenses and financial status?
- I am interested in the City’s Capital Improvement projects, where can I find information on those?
- Where can I find information on the City's outstanding debt and annual debt service payments?
- I would like to submit a funding request to City Council on behalf of an outside organization.
- When are vendor payments made?
- What is the City's policy for fund balance?
- I am a City employee and have questions regarding my payroll check. Who should I contact?
One of the best ways to get an overview of the City's finances is to review the annual budget document. This document includes a budget message from the City Manager which provides an executive overview and a discussion of specific budget issues for that particular year. It also includes detailed information on the sources of City revenue and how funds are spent.
Another document that is very helpful is the Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR) which reflects the actual financial activity of the City by fiscal year in all funds and an entity-wide perspective as well. The ACFR includes a transmittal letter and management's discussion and analysis on the financial position of the City including fund balances. This document includes a profile of the City, a discussion on economic conditions, updates on major initiatives, and the annual auditor's report. Ten years of financial trend information is provided in the statistical section of this report.
The City adopts a five-year Capital Improvement Plan annually in conjunction with the budget process. This plan explains the various projects, their justifications, and the estimated fiscal year for funding. Only the first year of the Capital Improvement Plan is funded as part of that year's operating budget.
Annual debt service is funded through the annual operating budget and can be found in the budget document behind the "Debt Service Fund" tab. Total outstanding debt and increases/decreases for the year can be found in the Comprehensive Annual Report within the footnotes to the financial statements under "Long-Term Liabilities".
4. I would like to submit a funding request to City Council on behalf of an outside organization.
The City considers funding requests submitted on the External Entity Funding Request Form. Requests are considered as part of the annual budget process. Refer to the City website for forms and due dates per the annual budget calendars.
5. Where are vendor payments made?
The City produces checks weekly (typically on Thursdays) for accounts payable. In order to receive a payment during the weekly cycle, the invoice must be submitted by the procuring department one week prior. Pay dates may vary slightly due to holidays and weekends. Questions about invoices should be directed to the Accounts Payable Technician at 757-562-8532.
6. What is the City's policy for fund balance?
The City has adopted a fund balance policy which provides a fiscal stability reserve in order to ensure a stable financial base at all times. This reserve provides the City with a financial cushion to accommodate variations in cash flows and provides funding for unanticipated or emergency expenditures and/or revenue shortfalls. The complete policy can be found in the budget document under Financial Policies Section.
Questions regarding payroll should be directed to the Payroll Accountant at 757-562-8538.